Dachau KZ Memorial Concentration Camp

When the Dachau concentration camp was expanded, the SS had a complex of 34 barracks built in 1937/38. The complex was demolished in 1964/65. Two buildings at the beginning of the former camp road are replicas from 1965.

"Each prisoner barrack, also called a "block" in the camp language, was divided into four "rooms". These consisted of a living room with tables, stools and lockers and a sleeping room with wooden double bunk beds. The prisoners were helplessly at the mercy of the SS block leaders. They harassed the prisoners with meticulous regulations concerning the cleanliness of the floors, the furnishing of the lockers or the making of the beds. Minimal deviations were punished with severe punishments. The barracks were designed for an occupancy of 200 persons each, but towards the end of the war they were completely overcrowded with up to 2,000 prisoners. The first barrack on the left of the camp road housed the canteen, the camp writing room, the library and the SS museum as well as training rooms for the prisoner staff. To the right of the camp road was the infirmary, which expanded to more and more barracks in view of the devastating sickness rate of the prisoners. Behind it were the punishment blocks and quarantine barracks for the new prisoners brought into the camp." (KZ Gedenkstätte Dachau)

Crematorium with death chambers and a gas chamber disguised as a "shower bath"

Dachau concentration camp. The former New Crematorium with Gas Chamber, called "Barrack X", was built in 1942. It contained a crematorium with four incinerators, disinfection chambers for clothing, recreation and sanitary rooms as well as death chambers and a gas chamber disguised as a "shower bath".

The Jewish memorial

The Jewish memorial (1967), designed by Zvi Guttmann, leads down a ramp to commemorate the annihilation of European Jewry. A seven-branched candelabrum (menorah) is located at the top of the building

Catholic chapel and Protestant church

The chapel, designed by architect Josef Wiedemann, stands for the memory of the fear of death and the suffering of the prisoners. Above the entrance, a crown of thorns made of iron.

The Protestant Church in Germany realised the Protestant Church of Reconciliation as a central memorial church for all victims of National Socialism. The commissioned architect was Helmut Striffler.

Street of the Concentration Camp Victims

On the former "Street of the SS", today "Street of the Concentration Camp Victims", there was a row of SS villas. They currently house offices of the Bavarian riot police.

Tivoli
Creative Quarter Munich

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *